Inspiration

“Flowers are the sweetest things God ever made, and forgot to put a soul into.” ~Henry Beecher

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Carrot Almond Pate and Lemon Flax Crisps

Yesterday, inspired by the bowl of ground almonds sitting in the fridge left over from making almond milk, I made the following pate. I came across the recipe on loloville.com, and at first, the idea of carrots and almonds together made me stop, but I am no longer a skeptic. I made a few substitutions yet it is still so tasty that I had it on toast this morning for breakfast. Yesterday, I teamed it up with the flax crisps pictured that are made with brown rice flower. The recipe is below as well. I had not originally intended to serve the pate with these crisps because the original recipe, printed on my bag of organic brown flax seeds from Whole Foods calls for a large dose of maple syrup. I followed the recipe exactly and they are fantastic by themselves and do work with the pate, but if you’d rather have a more savory biscuit, I would reduce the maple syrup a little bit, adjust the amount of flour, and add a little bit of salt.

Carrot Almond Pate

4 carrots, shredded

2 c almonds, soaked overnight (or about 1-1.5 c ground almonds)

¼ c green onions or chives (something green and onion-y : )

3 T fresh lemon juice

2 – 3 T olive oil (or carrot juice if you have)

1 – 2 t ground kelp (optional, a little goes a long way)

Grind the almonds if starting with whole almonds, then add everything except the oil to a food processor or blender and process/blend. Add a little bit of oil at a time until a smooth, even consistency is achieved. Transfer the mixture to a wax or parchment paper-lined bread pan or other dish, depending on the shape you’d like to form. Refrigerate for at least two hours. To serve, place a serving plate face down over the bowl, flip it over, then carefully remove the paper. Serve with crackers, bread, or a spoon : ) I enjoyed this so much that I had it on toast this morning.

Lemon Flax Crisps

5 T butter, melted and cooled

½ c maple syrup

1 t vanilla extract

1 T lemon zest

1 T lemon juice

½ c brown flax seeds

1 c plus 2 T brown rice flour

Preheat the oven to 350°C. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Drop tablespoons full onto a parchment paper-line baking sheet. Using the back of a spoon, spread the batter into ¼” discs. Bake for 10 – 15 minutes, or until browned on the edges. Let cool completely before removing from the paper (they will be a little crumbly until cooled).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers