Inspiration

“Flowers are the sweetest things God ever made, and forgot to put a soul into.” ~Henry Beecher

Friday, July 16, 2010

Corn and Bean Salsa

The other night, I grilled some corn on the cob. And instead of simply eating the leftovers, I decided to use them in a corn the bean salsa recipe below. This is a great, fresh, colorful summer recipe that’s full of nutrients and that can be whipped together very quickly. I’ve used frozen, roasted corn before and it works well, too. But while the corn is in season, I like to enjoy it in lots of different ways and this is one of my favorites.

Corn and Bean Salsa

2 cooked ears of corn, kernels removed

½ red, yellow, or orange bell pepper, diced

¼ cup diced red onion

¾ cup cooked or sprouted beans (mung, adzuki, black, etc.)

1 T chopped, fresh chives

1 T chopped, fresh cilantro, optional

juice from one lime and zest from ½ of it

1 t cumin, optional

½ t tumeric, optional

½ t sea salt

dash pepper

In a medium glass bowl, combine all the ingredients, mix well, and adjust the seasonings to taste. Pictured above, I used sprouted, raw adzuki beans and in the past I’ve used cooked black beans. In addition, I’ve listed the cilantro, cumin, and tumeric as optional. I’ve made this either with the cilantro and without the cumin and tumeric, or I’ve left out the cilantro and added the two spices. Chill in the fridge for several hours. Serve with chips, in salad, as a side for meats, poultry, fish, or Mexican dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers