Inspiration

“Flowers are the sweetest things God ever made, and forgot to put a soul into.” ~Henry Beecher

Friday, August 28, 2009

A High Energy, Protein Smoothie

This time of year I tend to have more smoothies for breakfast because they’re quick, cool, versatile and because the produce is so abundant. One that I‘ve really come to love this past summer is a hearty protein shake that is very satisfying after a strenuous workout or when I want something to keep me going for several hours. I’ve made several variations of this, depending on what fruit I have on hand, but the basics are the same:

1 cup nonfat milk (Can substitute any type, for example nut milk if you don’t do dairy. I’ve even made it with coconut water.)

½ cup plain or vanilla yogurt (I use my own, unsweetened nonfat);

2-4 Tbsp protein powder (I use hemp – it’s a complete protein source with EFA’s and fiber);

½ frozen banana (peel and wrap or place in airtight container before freezing);

1 handful of frozen blueberries (this time of year, I wash and freeze my own);

¼ avocado or 1 Tbsp sunflower seed or almond butter;

1 Tbsp natural sweetener (I normally use Grade B maple syrup but can also use honey or agave nectar);

1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (optional)

½ Tbsp “green” powder (optional, spirulina, wheat grass, or whatever you like to use)


Add all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Add more milk, water, or ice if the consistency is too thick. To further “green” this, I occasionally added several lettuce leaves. This smoothie is a good source of protein, carbs, fiber, vitamins and minerals, especially vitamins A, C, D, Ca, Mg, iron as well as healthy fats from the hemp and avocado or nut butters. And it’s always good for satisfying a chocolate craving! Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers