Inspiration

“Flowers are the sweetest things God ever made, and forgot to put a soul into.” ~Henry Beecher

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Lessons From an Inchworm

Yesterday, I mentioned that one of the things that I am grateful for are my quiet mornings in the backyard. With the nice weather here, I am finding more and more that I will take the opportunity to spend time there, even with my computer to do work. Just sitting under the tree alone helps me feel more connected to nature and makes doing anything more enjoyable. But what is it about nature that inspires me? Is it the colors, the sounds, the tranquility, the beauty? Certainly all of those things come to mind and have a calming yet positive influence over me. But I’ve also come to realize it’s the abundance of energy as well. By discovering some of the organisms present, even in the backyard, I’ve concluded that the energy in nature exerts enormous influence. It’s infinite: there are birds of all kinds, squirrels, chipmunks. Bugs galore, many that I’ve just recently discovered here, including this adorable inchworm (more on the millimeter scale) that made its way down my computer screen and onto the keyboard.


I was fascinated by its determination. And then there are the plants and trees and the infinite number of microorganisms found in and above the soil. In fact, in Bernard Dixon’s book, Power Unseen, How Microbes Rule the World, he says that “The powerful work of microbes in the soil is essential to the existence of life itself...life as we know it would simply not be possible without their assistance.” So, too, there is a staggering amount of activity and life happening around us that we can’t even see. All of it, though, I believe is in the form of pure, positive energy, without attitude, without baggage. With a simple purpose. Life’s only pursuit in nature is to thrive and proliferate and when we submerge ourselves in that atmosphere (with a continuous supply of fresh oxygen produced from trees and plants), we can’t help but feel energized and refreshed. It helps to clear my head to make room for new ideas and at the same time lift my spirits. Its contribution is unconditional. It never fails because it knows no other way and it is undeterred from the influences of you or me. So whenever possible, take a break from behind the four walls. Sit, read, meditate, walk or even try doing some work in nature. You’ll be grateful for the benefits.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers