Inspiration

“Flowers are the sweetest things God ever made, and forgot to put a soul into.” ~Henry Beecher

Friday, July 17, 2009

Reflecting on the Summit

Yesterday morning, I hiked up the Giant Steps Trail at East Rock Park in New Haven, CT. It’s a short but steep climb to the top of the rock called the Summit where you can see for miles. It’s here where one can get a “bird’s eye” view of the city, neighboring towns, and the ocean. It is here where one can ponder over the big picture. Where the minutiae become buried and where matters of significance rise to the surface. We often get so busy with our days that we forget why we’re doing what we’re doing. Or we get so sidetracked with drama or trivial matters that we lose site of our values and our goals and we begin to do things that we shouldn’t be doing. Or we put ourselves on autopilot and don’t see when it’s time to rethink what we’re doing.

So to ensure that we reach our mountaintops we need to take the time to review our “big picture”. And ask the big questions such as, how am I doing? Am I focused on my goals? Am I proceeding in the right direction? Am I leading a meaningful, fulfilling life? Do I have solid relationships? Do I have a strong inner life? Am I a good role model? Am I making an impact? Am I thankful for what I have versus longing for what I don’t? Positive answers enforce our goals and give us the courage to reach even further, for example, by taking more risks. If we’re unhappy with our answers, we can decide what needs to change to put us on the right path. So whether it’s standing on the top of a giant rock or sitting on your living room floor, reflect on your big picture regularly so that it remains in focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers