Inspiration

“Flowers are the sweetest things God ever made, and forgot to put a soul into.” ~Henry Beecher

Friday, September 11, 2009

A Delicious Barley and Wild Rice Pilaf

I recently found this recipe that originated in Eating Well Magazine. It makes a barley and wild rice pilaf; a combination that I was eager to try to add more diversity to the grains in my diet. I’ve made this twice with a couple of slight modifications. I substituted hulled barley for pearled. It needs to be soaked for several hours or overnight in water, but I found that it cooks up less starchy than the pearled. The Canadian wild rice I bought in bulk from our local natural foods store had a surprising, fruity fragrance and flavor that I wasn’t expecting and went well with the pomegranate seeds and lemon zest. I also used walnuts in place of pine nuts from the original recipe and it was delicious. Almonds would be a good nut to try as well. This dish is a great source of protein and unprocessed carbohydrates, fiber, vitamins, minerals and healthy fats.


Barley and Wild Rice Pilaf with Pomegranate

2 tsp coconut oil

1 med onion, finely chopped

½ cup hulled barley (rinsed, soaked in water overnight, then drained)

½ cup wild rice, rinsed

3 cups hot reduced sodium vegetable broth

1/3 cup nuts (I used walnuts)

1 cup pomegranate seeds

2 tsp freshly grated lemon zest

2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

Heat oil in medium saucepan and cook onion until translucent. Add barley and wild rice, stir and cook briefly. Add vegetable broth, bring to boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered until liquid is absorbed and grains are tender, ~45-50 minutes. Meanwhile, if desired, toast nuts in a dry skillet, stirring frequently until lightly browned and fragrant. Add nuts, pomegranate seeds, lemon zest and parsley to barley and wild rice. Mix well. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers