Inspiration

“Flowers are the sweetest things God ever made, and forgot to put a soul into.” ~Henry Beecher

Friday, September 4, 2009

The Power of a Smile

“Smile" is a beautiful song first recorded by Nat King Cole in 1955. The lyrics speak of the positive force a smile can have in the gloomiest of moments. And he was certainly on to something.

Research has shown that when we smile, the benefits are many. It triggers changes in brain biochemistry that elevate our moods. It strengthens our immune systems and lowers our blood pressure, making us healthier. And there is certainly nothing as attractive as someone with a beaming smile.

But what I find the most remarkable about this facial expression is the profound impact it can have on a recipient. I know how I feel when someone gives me a smile. I instantly feel more calm and at ease and at the same time energized. I feel a warmth in my chest and a lightness in my step. The World instantly looks better and I start to feel myself smile from the inside out. And when I smile at someone I’m passing on the street, I will almost always witness their facial muscles relax into one as well.

It’s been cited often that it takes many more muscles to frown than to smile. But one doctor concluded that more muscles are actually needed to smile but that it may require less effort.

An authentic smile is often spontaneous. It helps to break down barriers and creates a bond between people. It is a consequence of the outward flow of love through an open heart. It gives the recipient permission to share the other’s World. It signifies a generosity of spirit and a desire for peace that propagates itself and raises the energetic frequency of the Universe.

What's so wonderful about this is that we are all free to smile. It does not cost a thing. Yet every time each one of us does smile, I believe we are elevating the consciousness of humanity. And because we are all on this planet together, when we become committed to improving the lives of everyone we encounter, by default, we better our own lives.

There are many ways we can help each other, but I can’t thing of a single, more powerful, yet simple way to help achieve this goal, than with a smile.

: )

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers