Inspiration

“Flowers are the sweetest things God ever made, and forgot to put a soul into.” ~Henry Beecher

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Built on a Foundation of Love

The other day, I learned from one of my yoga instructors that she had just gotten married. I knew that she had a long-time partner, but I had no idea that they had been planning a wedding, so it was a nice surprise when I learned the news. What was the most remarkable thing to me was the wedding itself. She said that it took about five minutes to plan, and that she called up her mom and picked up her fiancĂ©e’s son from school as witnesses. In fact, she said that she was wearing jeans and had hat hair during the ceremony, but that didn’t seem to bother her in the least. To know her is to know that she was truly happy with the arrangements. She is one of the most kind, gracious, relaxed, non-ego-driven people I know. As an instructor, she is encouraging and helpful and never arrogant. She has a very easy way about her as she teaches and she conducts her classes with the right amount of leadership to keep them running smoothly. I guess I would consider her a contemporary flower child, if I may say. Now, imagine this woman getting married in jeans and hat hair, and it doesn’t seem unusual at all.

Later, I was thinking; does the fact that they skipped the big ceremony and the lavish reception make their marriage any less special? I didn’t think so. Because after the day is over, it’s love that is going to keep them together; not the bouquets of flowers or the wedding photos or the champagne glasses. Sure, those things all help to create a memorable day, but they won’t help them weather the ups and downs that every couple will face as they build a life together. Nothing material can substitute for a state of being; like the state of love that they feel for each other that brought them together in the first place. This is where it all begins and if this foundation is real and strong enough, then it will still be standing no matter what happens to the rest of the house. In fact, the better the foundation, the richer the home will become and the more likely it will stay standing. So if two people who are truly in love are happy to wed without all the fanfare, then I say, congratulations, and may you be blessed with a long and happy union filled with beauty, fond memories and unending growth. And I would like to take this opportunity to thank my yoga instructor for sharing her authentic self, both in and out of class. She’s just one more someone, and something, I have to be grateful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers