Inspiration

“Flowers are the sweetest things God ever made, and forgot to put a soul into.” ~Henry Beecher

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Snowing Down

It’s snowing. It began early this morning as a hint of flakes bouncing haphazardly through the air and progressed to the type of snow that I like the most: those large clumps that resemble pieces torn from a cotton ball rather than flakes. Despite their light-as-a-cloud appearance, they fall with intent and stick to whatever they first contact and I bet that during their travels, they do a nice job of filtering the air for us. And rather than disappear, they accumulate, adding a beautiful, white cover to fences, mailboxes, the power lines, roofs on buildings, and even the tiniest of limbs on trees. That’s probably what I love most about this snow: the way it transforms the trees from bare, faded brown or gray limbs or evergreen needles to a vibrant white that brightens even cloudy days. And I can’t forget that this snow is perfect for making snowmen.

Some may say, but I don’t like to drive in the snow. True, there are risks involved when driving in a snowstorm, and some storms leave motorists stranded and it’s happened to me as well. Many years ago, a storm hit so fast and hard that my car wound up stuck in the middle of a street. I had to abandon it there overnight, along with several other cars. Luckily, I was with a friend and we spent the night at her home baking cookies. When I think back to that night, I realize how much fun we had because we made the most of that unplanned situation - and we slowed down. And now more and more, I take advantage of those times when I can slow down and enjoy the present moments. One of my favorite things to do, still, when I’m snowed in, is to spend the day warming up the house by cooking/baking. Then, I love to curl up with a good book and a cup of tea on the sofa. When these occasions do arise, I can usually think of a million things to do instead, but I may not enjoy them as much. And since this Winter will be over in no time, and I can’t ever get the time back, I want to spend as many opportunities as I can doing the things that I love to do.

It’s still snowing, and it’s still pretty. And I’m still grateful…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers